Off of JD's bench

Post pictures of your finished work!

Moderator: ToddMichael

JewelryDoctor

Off of JD's bench

Post by JewelryDoctor » Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:42 pm

Customer had this opal and 12 sapphires in a ring and wanted a slide for her 6mm omega chain. The piece was milled in 3 parts. The opal is 21.5 x 16mm and the sapphires were approx. 3.3mm each. All of the design was done with 3dengrave and milled in modela. The top was milled with a .015" flat end mill and the sides and back were milled with a .025" flat end mill. The back was pierced ala Jeff's suggestion with the customers initials. Makes a nice touch. The side gallery was cut by hand after it was cast. The font I used was called "formal". As I stated the customer provided all of the materials except 3 dwt of 14k gold. I charged $500.00.

Happy Milling
Michael
Attachments
opalslidebk.jpg
Back View
opalslidebk.jpg (45.17 KiB) Viewed 8580 times
opalslideft.jpg
Front view
opalslideft.jpg (45.89 KiB) Viewed 8580 times

jeff dunnington
Site Admin

Post by jeff dunnington » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:23 pm

Nice work JD. The customers just eat that detail on the back up. I usually surprise them with it. Brought a couple of them to tears.

Can you imagine doing that with out our little friend. :wink:

JewelryDoctor

New Piece

Post by JewelryDoctor » Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:46 pm

I dont know about other's area but here we sell alot of the circle of life style pendents. And all of them in white gold. I made this one from the 3dengrave software and modela milling program. The diameter of the piece is 19.5mm. There are 28 dia. @ .025 ct each and 20 dia. @ .01 ct each and the bail has 4 .03 ct. Computer design time was about 1.5 hours total. Still getting use to placement. All of the work was done in one quadrant and then copy pasted and moved to the other quadrants. The only assembly work was the front to the back of the bail. Its going into my show case at a 750.00 cost.

Michael
Attachments
doublecircle.jpg
doublecircle.jpg (22.73 KiB) Viewed 8527 times

Jwlrymkr

Post by Jwlrymkr » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:33 pm

Nice work Michael!
Man, I wish I had time to make up stock items :(

atozjewelry

Post by atozjewelry » Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:54 pm

Lovely work Michael. I can truly appreciate your sense of frustration (if I understand you correctly) at getting the stones evenly spaced around the circle or other elements.
Charles Brock
Atoz Lapidary and Gems
www.atozlapidary.com

JewelryDoctor

Here's a couple more

Post by JewelryDoctor » Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:06 pm

This is a simple ring to do but makes a great presentation to the customer. I designed the top of both rings in edengrave. I coverted the letters to polygons and altered the letters to fit the shape of the oval outline. After I milled the tops I hand carved the ring part. I believe that soon I will be able to mill the whole piece over a ring tube but I still need pratice on that. I have also found a site that offers truetype monogram fonts. I have ordered the CD and will let everyone know how it works. The link to the web site is www.haroldsfonts.com. I used the customers scrap gold and cast with magic cast. Got a really nice finish. Back ground was done with a foredom hammer point and then sandblasted to even the appearence. I charged $250.00 labor each. Welcome any comments.

Happy Milling
Michael
Attachments
MonoSig.jpg
MonoSig.jpg (50.29 KiB) Viewed 8500 times

Jwlrymkr

Post by Jwlrymkr » Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:47 pm

Very nice!
Would like to know how that monogram cd works out for you.
What type of camera are you using? Your pics are great!
Also, are you using a dome (like a cloud dome) to take your digital pics in?
My pics never come out as good as the ones you take. I have an old toshiba 2.1 megapixel camera, using a tripod and a plastic bowl...I need to work on the pics.

JewelryDoctor

Latest Pieces

Post by JewelryDoctor » Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:30 pm

Here are a couple new jobs. Not to hard to design but made things much easier with the mill. The Bar slide has a .55 ct diamond and is made to fit a 6mm omega. The second is a charm, loveletter, that we sell in the store in 14k white gold. Customer wanted in yellow gold and vendor could not do. So its "milling time". Milled pave' area and all. Customer was willing to pay extra to have "handmade".

Michael
Attachments
barslide.jpg
barslide.jpg (44.15 KiB) Viewed 8446 times
loveletter.jpg
loveletter.jpg (44.44 KiB) Viewed 8446 times

Colin Creed
Senior Miller

Post by Colin Creed » Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:18 pm

Hi Michael,

Really nice pieces!!

Regards Colin