plastic ring saves on gold

Post by p schmidt » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:03 am

save gold this way..
Attachments
plastic ring1.jpg
plastic ring1.jpg (26.65 KiB) Viewed 14530 times
plastic ring.jpg
plastic ring.jpg (25.6 KiB) Viewed 14530 times
rhino4 and 5, rhino gold, hypershot, vector magic, next engine, cadwax ring builder, tsplines

ToddMichael

Post by ToddMichael » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:21 pm

Pat; some cool new trends I am seeing out your way. So do you mill the plastic out of a solid stock like wax or what?

Kidding;

Todd Michael

Can I come work for you, you are having toooooo fun over there!

p schmidt

Post by p schmidt » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:24 am

I actually like the concept and the look! ....I think you'd have to mill the model(s) sz 6-9 plus 1/2 sizes, mold it, then plastic resin cast it.... or send it out for plastic injection.... who knows maybe my next project?
rhino4 and 5, rhino gold, hypershot, vector magic, next engine, cadwax ring builder, tsplines

ToddMichael

Post by ToddMichael » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:39 pm

Pat; do you have a source for plastic injection, or even better yet a source for White metal casting?

Todd Michael

p schmidt

Post by p schmidt » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:42 am

possibly ....turns out that joston class ring co.has a factory apx 1hr away from me ... they contacted me then came out to my store wanting to learn how to use the mdx40 and softwares they just bought..I'll be going out to the factory in a week or two to see their operation first hand ... plant manager said they could help me out if needed (platic injection? white metal castings I know they do that one!)

p schmidt

Post by p schmidt » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:33 am

another style colored, frosted, and clear...
Attachments
4.jpg
4.jpg (20.23 KiB) Viewed 14466 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (14.06 KiB) Viewed 14466 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (20.49 KiB) Viewed 14466 times

ToddMichael

Post by ToddMichael » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:38 am

Buy some gold, make some jewelry, quit playing with plastic.

Do you teach Rhino?

Todd Michael

p schmidt

Post by p schmidt » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:36 am

I have plenty of gold to use but I don't like wasting it on hopes that I'll sell the pieces... not too many 'buying' customers around here ....I was thinking fashion fad type stuff?... also plastic could keep the retail cost down... that is untill you add my designer name to the product :lol: :lol: :lol:
I don't teach rhino but I could ....I have alot of videos I made for jewelry but never really produced them for sale too many things always going on with no real help!

Doug

Post by Doug » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:52 pm

I think it's very cool!

ToddMichael

Post by ToddMichael » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:09 pm

Pat;

Don't get me wrong, I truly like seeing what you come up with. I thinking I am more and more jealous with the time you have to create!

I am trying to find more time for creating myself!

Keep up the good work!

Todd Michael

p schmidt

Post by p schmidt » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:13 am

rarely do I make anything for real customers in my store not too many people buying around here (or anywhere?) I mostly run a one man shop doing all the work so maybe I don't 'talk it up' enough only because I know I'll have to be the one to do it all ...along with everything else, but once in awhile I'll whip one out ...my buisness is built around the service end of things, what people really need! so I'm always busy doing watch batts., repairs and of course buying gold... did you know it's getting harder and harder to get a watch batt replaced, the big box stores don't do it much anymore around here and the chain stores send them out ..and if you want to make a few extra bucks sell them the 'full service' (watch batt and cleaning the band) I take the movement out and put the band and parts in the sonic then steam them ..starts at $25 and well worth it!..I know everything is 'small' money but it can add up and since I don't have employees to take care of I get buy while trying to save some gold and cash on the side...so I sit around alot while waiting for my next customer, when I get a job I'm very,very fast at my work (but not sloppy!) so I GRD (get er done) if I work slow I'll soon get backed up and have to work longer.. so when I'm done I'll sit around maybe design something then mill it for practice or experemental purposes if I feel it, write on the forums, download music, search the internet, pay bills, work on other project and such untill the next customer comes in which usually is'nt too long of a wait...although I'm thinking about hiring a part timer there you go having to train someone and then they really can't do the hard jobs at the bench or at the designing/milling end of things either so there I am again doing all the 'real' work while they sit around!

p schmidt

Post by p schmidt » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:30 am

In addition to the above post when buying gold you get alot of pieces that still have alot of life left in them some are practically new so I have to cases of pre owned jewelry I sell them for just a little over my gold melt price no charge for the stones unless there bigger then I ask a little more but not much more when we buy we can't give the customer anything for the melle and colered stones because I'll never recoup my cash back (and that's the way everyone around here does it!) ...so I get alot of sales from those cases most of the rings go from $50- $150 and you wouldn't beleive the customers all say 'is that all? you have such different pieces'
and I say 'yeah I try to keep it interesting...as far as the 'preownd' pieces remember just because a car is used dosn't mean it has to go to the junk yard ...there are plenty of people that would love to get a good used car at a low price! so relate that to the jewelry...
did yopu know that most of the corporate stores take the returns, resize the rings and put them back in the cases and sell them as new...

ToddMichael

Post by ToddMichael » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:31 am

Pat, sounds like we are on the same page as each other. I have been flying solo for months now, actually beginning to like the feel again. Just negotiated a 50% reduction in rent, and a few other freebies. So I am getting profitable again.

I see you run the 540? I really have the itch to get a more capable machine. Don't get me wrong, I run the 15 almost daily, just thinking I need to expand my abilities and prepare myself for another situation.

I have read some on the JWX-10 and the MDX-540, what do you think would be the most likely upgrade?

Todd Michael

p schmidt

Post by p schmidt » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:13 am

I have mdx40 not the 540 ...anyway the mdx40 over the jwx10 the 40 has more working room however if I had to do it over again I probably would buy an open mill.... as the mdx40 is enclosed (so is the jwx10 only smaller area!)... it's harder to work in an enclosed area but I did get my 40 at half price and with the profits from gold buying... so I live with an enclosed mill but it's a good one!

Doug

Post by Doug » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:15 pm

But i still love how easy the mdx15 is and 3dengrave, for most stuff.

Oh and Pat them plastic rings look much better them the big papers ones. :wink: