Nightmare!

Post pictures of your finished work!

Moderator: ToddMichael

frog113

Nightmare!

Post by frog113 » Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:58 am

Here's one for the books!
Tried to deliver this about a week before Xmas,but the client had a real small boney neck and it didn't lay right and it was about 1/2 inch too short (client measured .....gave me a piece of string!).Thought we were going to have to remake the whole thing. Did add 2 more of the white sections to get the length(the ones w/o dia's are dia cut). Had it all done except for pinning the clasp when we tried it.
Had to turn a delrin punch on lathe and push the assembled piece (diamonds were set) into urethane at 5-7 tons to bend....NO marks! I was pretty desperate!
Sorry for the poor pic but this is the only one I got....delivered Xmas eve.
It was 18kt (solid) T/T weighed right at 75 grams finished without the 2 extra links.Was 14 1/2 inches without the extender. The long links weigh a short 8 dwt. 6 dia's each 1/4 ct VS2/SI
Had to import the clasps from the Italians(client picked the clasp!)....got 10
unassembled/unfinished pieces(2 clasps!)for about $100! Had to install the clasp pieces at a pretty steep angle to get them to work right. Did scan them, but don't know if I can dup yet....had the springs swiched from the orig and they wouldn't work right.

Larry
Attachments
inga.JPG
inga.JPG (116.34 KiB) Viewed 4816 times
hustedtjewelers.com

jeff dunnington
Site Admin

Post by jeff dunnington » Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:51 pm

Hey Larry

Very nice necklace! Don't you just love the customer measurements.
Puts you in a awkward position. Hope you got plenty of money for that one.
Had to turn a delrin punch on lathe and push the assembled piece (diamonds were set) into urethane at 5-7 tons to bend....NO marks! I was pretty desperate!
Trying to picture that being done :?: Post a picture of the punch when you get a chance.
Last edited by jeff dunnington on Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jwlrymkr

Post by Jwlrymkr » Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:10 pm

Nice!
Was it assembled using a pin and tube type assembly? Thats where the laser really shines! Keep up the good work!
Ken

Colin Creed
Senior Miller

Post by Colin Creed » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:20 pm

Hi Larry,

Nice looking piece.
I guess that necessity was the Mother of Invention!
Lucky that you had a lathe & some delrin to make that punch!!
And Customers wonder why us Jewellers seem to lack that "Xmas Spirit" at Xmas time??

regards Colin.