Some of my work

Post pictures of your finished work!

Moderator: ToddMichael

Winstone

Some of my work

Post by Winstone » Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:45 pm

I have been scanning my work into my file with the Dr. Pizca, so I thought that you guys would like to see what this old man does. Well the piece was made over 25 years ago. It was a commission for the Arch-Bhishop of Canterbury, the Right Reverend Michael Ramsey, Spiritual head of the Church of England. It was presented back in the late 1970's. It measures 7 inches high. It is a figure of Saint Michael the Archangle standing on a devil. The cross in his hand can be removed and worn. There are seven natural stones each representing one of the seven sacraments. The piece was carved in wax, cast using the lost wax method, in sterling silver. The image was taken in front of a mirror to show both sides of the piece. I used the Donetello Figure of David as an inspiration, except in stead of a nude David figure, my figure is fully clothed in a Roman Centurian uniform. The helmet was not used, so that the gesture of the piece was the victory of good over evil.
I have also made similar objects for teh Vatican, for several Popes, as well as for Royals. Most of my pieces are in action classic poses. Running horses over slabs of jade for individual collectors, or silver figures in the round telling stories of the old West.
nuff said.... winstone

Jwlrymkr

Did I miss something?

Post by Jwlrymkr » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:53 pm

Winstone, I would love to see some of your work!
Did I miss something because I can't see any photo. Did you post it in the forum or on the ftp?
Best Wishes!
Ken

Winstone

I thought that I posted the pcx file but can't find it

Post by Winstone » Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:56 am

Please walk me through the process of posting a picture to show off my work. I do not quite understand the process, so no matter how hard I try, it seems nothing is shown...... winstone

Jwlrymkr

Post by Jwlrymkr » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:51 am

Winstone, there is a button at the bottom of the posting window that reads browse. If you click it and then navigate to the file of your picture, then double click your picture, it will ready the picture. After that, click the add attachment button. This will upload your picture to the server. Finally click submit and all is done.
Best Wishes!
Ken

Colin Creed
Senior Miller

Post by Colin Creed » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:09 pm

Hi Winstone,

Be sure that you have saved your photo/picture in a format that can be uploaded to the forum, first.
If it's a photo, it needs to be saved as either a "GIF, JPEG, JPG, PNG, TGA, or TIF" file.

I make this point, as in the "Subject Title" of your reply to Ken, you mention a "PCX" file.
This could also help explain why you can't upload the picture?
Copy the photo & save as one of the above formats, for all of us to see.
Go back to your original post, click "edit" in the top right corner, then follow Ken's instructions.

regards, Colin

Winstone

St. Michael figure as a JPG

Post by Winstone » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:34 am

Well here goes. here is a jpeg of the St. Michael figure.
Also, in 1981 I was commissioned to make a sculpture for sale at the local PBS Auction. I made what I called the "Storyteller" which was a theme of an older ranch hand who was telling a young hand about the danger of bears that prowl in the night. The older man sees that he has excited the younger man, but is not aware of the grizzly bear that is walking up behind him. The younger man is looking at the bear. The older man is using his arms to tell his tall tale. The camp fire is a fire opal with silver stones in a circle. The whole piece is mounted on a piece of Wyoming jade.
It was hand carved in wax, cast in sterling. The figures were 3 inches high and cast solid. It sold for over $15,000 to a collector. I got a lot of good advertising as the item ran for over a week. The station got the funds and I got a lot of good advertisement. Winstone
here is the Saint Michael......
Attachments
STMICH.JPG
STMICH.JPG (68.03 KiB) Viewed 11515 times

Winstone

Storyteller made in sterling 1981 (c.) Winston

Post by Winstone » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:41 am

Here is storyteller. It was a lot of fun to make. We have also made miniatures of sailing vessels, historical events, discoveries, Moon landing, as well as Space miniatures for NASA. Most of my work is very realistic. I make rings to match, as well as bolos for men's wear. Here is the 1981 piece. winstone
Attachments
TALECA.JPG
TALECA.JPG (17.75 KiB) Viewed 11514 times

Winstone

Detail of the Storyteller

Post by Winstone » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:45 am

Here is a shot of the a detail of the Storyteller. The older ranch hand and the younger man.
Attachments
TAILC.JPG
TAILC.JPG (29.04 KiB) Viewed 11512 times

Winstone

Figure details

Post by Winstone » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:49 am

Figure detail
Attachments
TALEAA.JPG
TALEAA.JPG (19.08 KiB) Viewed 11511 times

Jwlrymkr

Post by Jwlrymkr » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:20 am

Awesome work Winstone! You and Colin are truly talented at hand carving. I'm almost envyous!
Thanks for sharing.
Ken

Winstone

Thanks for the encouragement Ken.

Post by Winstone » Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:08 pm

I only wish that I had a MDX-15 years ago when I was sweating blood carving out 3 D letters. What a nightmare. The Mill makes the job so much easier. But the real benefit for having the mill is this forum and guys that know how to do fine diamond setting.
that is a skill that I envy and am trying to learn. See some of us can carve realistically and others set stones beautifully. When we share information and have the opportunity to be on the ground floor with the inventor of a gig that will allow us to make wonderful rings, then we really have something unique.
I was one of the early investors or insiders to develope the program called Lindows, or Lindshire. We would ask the techies to do stuff and they came up with several beta programs. It was not the hands on situation that Jeff is offering with the 4th axis gig. What is important here is we are all owners of Mills, and collectively will come up with solutions for further use of the mill in a way that allows users of the MDX-15 to do things only reserved for the fine fashion jewelers or haut coulture set.
The fact that we can offer imput, experiment and share is very unique, it is a once in a lifetime situation. And more important, I can honestly tell my clients that everything made in my studio is MADE IN THE USA, not a Stuller outsourced antique styled ring with pave diamond set item made in the PRC....
We can't wait for the unit and see how it will work with our production.
Ken, I have learned a lot from your imput and hope that in some small way that I could be of benefit to the rest of you. Winstone

Colin Creed
Senior Miller

Impressive carvings

Post by Colin Creed » Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:45 am

Hi Winstone,

Very impressive carvings!
I haven't done much work in this larger size/scale, but I can appreciate just how much hard work & detail went into them.
It's good to see some of your work, keep the photos coming!

regards Colin