One I just finished

Post pictures of your finished work!

Moderator: ToddMichael

McCay

One I just finished

Post by McCay » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:06 pm

Hey guys,
I just finished setting this one a little while ago. I wasn't sure if I should post it on the gallery because it is about half mill/half hand-carving. These kinds of projects are why I really love the mill, so I thought I would post it. I do a lot of antique style rings. I do most of the "engraving" by carving on the wax. It's a lot easier to fix mistakes that way. I usually go back and sharpen up the details with a hand graver after casting. What I love about the mill is that I can do most of my layout and shape of the ring on the mill. If it's possible in the design, I'll use the mill to cut any prongs or stone seats. Usually for bead setting I at least let the mill make tick marks so I know where to drill later. What I end up with after milling is a ring blank that has layouts marked and lines raised/lowered as needed. Then I can do the "engraving." By making the blank on the mill I save tons of time and aggravation. I get to focus on the decorative parts (which I think are more fun to carve) since the layout is already there. The symmetry is better and it looks more professional. The end result is a more refined piece than I could have done completely by hand. The mill has opened a great little niche market for me.
Happy milling,
McCay
Attachments
antique style ring.jpg
antique style ring.jpg (129.25 KiB) Viewed 5232 times

Jwlrymkr

Post by Jwlrymkr » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:16 pm

McCay, another great looking ring!
It appears you are utilizing the mill to it's fullest potetial. Hand engraving can't be duplicated with any machine. It looks like you have mastered it!
Great job.
Ken

John Saul

Post by John Saul » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:13 pm

Beautiful looking ring McCay,

Great detail work.

John

Colin Creed
Senior Miller

Post by Colin Creed » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:04 am

Hi McCay,

Another great looking piece & also great post, Well done!!

regards Colin