Medallions presented to Roger Clemens

Post pictures of your finished work!

Moderator: ToddMichael

jeff dunnington
Site Admin

Medallions presented to Roger Clemens

Post by jeff dunnington » Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:09 am

Here is a picture of medallions I made that were presented to Roger Clemens at the 2004 All Star game in Houston, Tx. During a tribute to Clemens by Commissioner Bud Selig's on the field, his wife and 4 sons each presented Clemens with a 38mm 14k white gold medallion attached to a 30 inch white gold rope chain.
Each medallion had a picture of one of the sons and his name on the front and one the reverse side was a inscription "Dad thank you for teaching me" along with one of the following word Integrity, Loyalty, Honesty, Commitment and the date July 13, 2004

The medallion that his wife presented him with had a picture of the couple and the word Love on the back with the date.

I created the relief for the medallions in 3dengrave and the wax models to be cast were milled with MDX-15 using Modela player and a .015 ball end mill. I then cast the 5 medallions in 14k white gold and finished them.

Last edited by jeff dunnington on Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jwlrymkr

Post by Jwlrymkr » Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:45 am

What can be said other than AWESOME work!
Perhaps you would care to expand a little on how you achieved the relief.
I.E. what resolution you used when scanning. Did you work form a negative, etc...
Wonderful job Jeff!

Ken

Christian

Hi jeff.

Post by Christian » Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:14 am

This is great, how did you get the relief on these pieces, by the way I loaded mp4 but have not clue how to use it, , any tips on setting parameters, are you using any other drill bits, did you buy any long reach, do you recomend them or not.

You know, on the relief for pictures, I have been playing turning any image to a negative, inverting it, then I save it to a bmo file, it looks great, but you said if I'm not wrong that white pixels cut higher than black ones, I mill my son's picture and looks great, but dark pixels do not show, can I set black pixels relief to a negative number or it is not a good idea to make invert them.

I know the holiday season is coming but any chance on making a tutorial for the scanner?

Take care waxmill guru.
Christian :D

Barbara Rothstein

RE:Medallions

Post by Barbara Rothstein » Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:57 pm

Jeff, these blew me away! How did you do this? Was it from color photo, convert to greyscale, then what? I have an upcoming project that entails converting image from a painting to 3-D. Although I wanted to acheive a more dimensional rendition, this could work. (I did read your post about rendering photos in this way.) This forum is so great- I'm browsing & learning more while my mill works away.....
B. Rothstein

jeff dunnington
Site Admin

Post by jeff dunnington » Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:36 pm

Hey Barbara

The photos were supplied to me by the Clemens camp. Tey were reduced to just black and white. So they were just a basic relief. Sound like your project would be covered in this post
http://www.3dwaxmill.com/phpBB2/vt.php?t=90

If you need any pointers just post is there.

Good luck and I am glad you are enjoying the Club. :D
Hope to see some of your work in the Gallery.

Barbara Rothstein

medallions

Post by Barbara Rothstein » Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:49 am

Hi Jeff- Thanks for the reply. I did read that post about working with photos & it helped me to transform the painting to a positive/negative graphic , but it wasn't giving me the results I wanted for this project as I want it to be a sculptural relief. There are a lot of super-realistic ,detailed faces in these. The good thing is I have to do these in 2 sizes: Paperweight size & medallion size. I'll do the larger size by hand, then scan them & bring them down to the medallion size. I'll also use the mill to make the basic shape, border & print on the backside. Keep you posted- the forum is great!! Thanks,
Barbara
B. Rothstein