Post by p schmidt » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:26 am

here's my first attempt at reproducing a gilloche pattern
Attachments
pattern.jpg
pattern.jpg (65.84 KiB) Viewed 5519 times

p schmidt

guillche pattern

Post by p schmidt » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:10 am

I was luckey to find this very rare motorized version on ebay (circa 1970) I bought it just to see the working concept ...it didn't work so I took out motor and cleaned the contacks and it now works fine... I just bought the famous original (non motorized) for my further thought proccesses
Attachments
DSCN2779.JPG
DSCN2779.JPG (94.6 KiB) Viewed 5516 times

p schmidt

guillche pattern

Post by p schmidt » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:16 am

here's what it might look like milled out I have the "v " cut as shown
Attachments
guilloche 3de.jpg
guilloche 3de.jpg (87.99 KiB) Viewed 5513 times
angled cut.jpg
angled cut.jpg (30.35 KiB) Viewed 5513 times

p schmidt

guillche pattern

Post by p schmidt » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:44 am

here it is more complete ready for milling...I could have done a curved surface but this was another one of my "experiments" anyone want to try milling? I just might!

I'm dizzey now

if anyone want to try milling email me and I will send the file
Attachments
ready.jpg
ready.jpg (86.33 KiB) Viewed 5512 times

Winstone

Guilloche is not what it appears to be

Post by Winstone » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:09 pm

Here is a closeup of guilloche metal work when some of the enamel pops loose. This example shows the real nature of the cut. It is not in a circle as the eye tells us, which is an optical illusion, but lines one next to another with a slight change in position.
I have one of the 1845 machines in my shop. It works with the energy of falling weights. The Guilloche machine was originally made in France. The power train is based on the power of the guillotine. Cartier used guilloche' in much of his work prior to Frabrege'. Cartier did 90% of his work in 18 karat golds. Fabrege' used fine silver as his base metal. The reason is enamel flows better on fine silver than on 18 karat. Also second firings of delicate tracery patterns are easier to make.
I was able to buy pieces of this machine in an estate sale here in Dallas from the widow of one of the enamelists who worked for the Fabrege' workshop in the Moscow store. When I saw the machine which has a total weight of over a ton. I paid the widow more than she was asking, I do a lot of work for Russian Orthodox Churches and am familiar with guilloche.
The widow gave me a gig that was used to make Emperial Easter Eggs. My little bit of kindness went a long way in the Orthodox community. I have been honored to see and touch Frabrege' objects that are personal treasures of Russian Orthodox families that resettled in Texas.
I am also lucky to have a fellow appraiser who appraises Fabrege' pieces for insurance replacement as well as sale in major auction houses.
I shot a Super 8 movie of 11 pieces that were sent to New York for sale.
I was able to see these pieces on my friend's dining room table. There were miniature tables in jade, makeup boxes, cigar cases, cane handles, and objects'dart that were wonderful.
Examine this picture and note the metal work. Circular patterns appear
as an optical illusion and when combined with transparant enamels the
illusion is complete. Most people try to cut circular patterns only to fail as that is not the underlying metal work. See for yourself....winstone
Attachments
picdam06b.jpg
If I had counter enameled the inside of my cane band, the outer enamel would not have popped off or cracked due to the unstable condition of the sterling tube.
picdam06b.jpg (12.23 KiB) Viewed 5492 times
picdam06b.jpg
Enamel will pop off sterling surfaces, while fine silver it rarely happens. If I counter enameled my piece the silver surface would have been stable without cracks or pop offs.
picdam06b.jpg (12.23 KiB) Viewed 5492 times

Winstone

Fellow Miller is now in Russian Orthodox Church

Post by Winstone » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:27 pm

Father Grivakos one of our own millers with a MDX-15 is now working with the American Russian Orthodox Church as their chancellor. Being Greek Orthodox he was easily transferred to the Russian Rite. His skills and knowledge of Orthodox issues is a great treasure. he is also a miller, so in that spirit, I am opening up what I know of the guilloche machine so that he can use it in future projects for the American Church. Other millers will find him good, generous, and together you guys might make some interesting and wonderful American creations for this ancient Christian Church. .... winstone