Hello

Welcome to our community. Please introduce yourself.

Moderator: ToddMichael

Doug

Hello

Post by Doug » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:56 pm

Hello,
I have a small shop in Annapolis, Maryland. I do work for some stores in my area. Just ordered my MDX-15 and i can't wait to get it.
Last edited by Doug on Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

frog113

Welcome

Post by frog113 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:50 am

Welcome!

Larry
hustedtjewelers.com

Doug

Post by Doug » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:30 pm

I haven't got the mill yet but will this work? Have to do a cross with 3mm diamonds. This is something i wouldn't want to carve by hand.
Attachments
3Mstone cross.3de
(226.94 KiB) Downloaded 519 times

Winstone

Welcome

Post by Winstone » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:10 pm

Models look good to me, they should work fine. I use a frig to store my waxes in old tupperware containers. Keep a workbook of ideas and make .txt files of the steps that you use. Date your work. keep a log. it is important for later data for copyrights. If generics, still useful for learneing. I have subjects divided and indexed for easy references. The forum is a wealth of information.
The most important thing is the diversity of opinions that are on the forum. The mill can also scan your earleir works. You can store digital files of past works in your own files. I have a catalogue of my past works and my own findings catalogue of usable digital parts.
You never know when you will need to replace or to modify a design.
Also, if you copyright works, make sure you have a right to reproduce parts. This is something I did not do, and as a result I can not get the sage advice of fellow millers. A real hassle.
Finally, you wil come to love your MDX15. mush of what is on the forum is due to experiments of others with their mills. So even if you had a mill earlier, much of the R&D may not have existed?!!
This forum is worth a great deal, read the posts, look at the modela of others, and see their results. Look at the time for milling same. Figure in your cost of machine, materials, cost of joining forum, and overhead. you then can get an idea of the value of your milled work. If you can cast in house, great, others use services.
Glad to have you in the membership of millers. Your bench experience will pay off when you design items that you know can be made by a bench jeweler. Often designers without bench experience make designs that can not be made in CAD\CAM.
I may be one of the oldest millers here. I do not know. Pushing 70 year old. Anyway I too wish that the mill was available to me years ago, but alas thei old dog can learn new tricks. ..... winstone