And yet another new member.

Welcome to our community. Please introduce yourself.

Moderator: ToddMichael

Jim Cottrell

And yet another new member.

Post by Jim Cottrell » Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:48 pm

Hello fellow 3dwaxmillers.
I've been doing bench work for ten years now and mostly do a lot of repairs and a little custom. I want to switch that around and do mostly custom work and a little bit of repairs. It's hard to find the time to do a lot of custom work though, but when I saw Jeff with his machine at the Columbus show, I thought this is the answer.
I'm working my way through the tutorial and milled my first successful piece and am excited to learn more. I'm sure I'll be online to see what everybody has to say and hopefully I'll be able to contribute too.

Jim

frog113

Post by frog113 » Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:07 am

:D Welcome from another new guy who bought in columbus
the forum is great.................was a little leary at first
but learning this does take a little time and any hint is great
.................................and Jeff is great just emailed (re: symbols) him the other day "just didn't get it"!
and he answered right back.

Think I'm still away from helping anyone, but will if I can

Larry

Jwlrymkr

Post by Jwlrymkr » Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:32 am

Welcome to both of you guys!
In no time, you'll be a millin fool! :lol:
I wonder now how I ever got by without the mill. Jeff and all the other members here are great. I've yet to ask a question that has gone unanswered.
Ken

jeff dunnington
Site Admin

Post by jeff dunnington » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:03 pm

Jim

Great to have you on board and you have your 1st piece under your belt.
You will find plenty of help here if you need it and you won't be the new guy for long. Hope to see you here often. Be sure to post some pictures.

Larry, Glad I could help.

Colin Creed
Senior Miller

Post by Colin Creed » Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:12 am

Welcome Jim,

The Mill will definitely help you to do more of the custom work.

Be sure to check out & read the forum, as a wealth of knowledge is contained there.
I've managed to find the answers to most the problems that I've had.
If you get stuck, all you need to do is ask, everybody is more than willing to help.
Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Regards,

Colin.

Jim Cottrell

Post by Jim Cottrell » Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:38 am

Thanks you guys. It's great to know you are out there and willing to help. I already have some questions lining up , but since I am so new to this, I'm going to play around with it a little bit first and see what happens. I'm sure I'll be in touch.
Regards on a cool, crisp Michigan autumn morning,
Jim

Winstone

Welcome Jim,

Post by Winstone » Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:26 am

Are there any repair parts or gigs that could be made with the machine, or are you having need of information on how to make an item, setting, or finding with the machine. plan to do scanning, replicate past projects, or make a catalogue of items that you have made?
Welcome aboard Jim and know that we are all newbies in some respect. We learn, share, and get better with our experiments, use of the machine, and modifications of the programs. Winstone

JewelryDoctor

Welcome

Post by JewelryDoctor » Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:48 pm

Hello Jim; your mission should you choose.......oops wrong start...lol. Welcome to the best group of professionals on any forum. Being a jeweler you will find that the MDX will gratly aide in your goal to become a better custom jeweler. It may not do everything but with imagination and some creativity will give possiblities that will be very rewarding. If you need any help just give us a shout. Good luck.

Happy Milling
Michael