Yet another newbie jumping on board!!!

Welcome to our community. Please introduce yourself.

Moderator: ToddMichael

ksuflash

Yet another newbie jumping on board!!!

Post by ksuflash » Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:32 pm

I want to thank Jeff for allowing me access to the Message board even before I have the mill/software package. I am waiting with baited breath to get the mill/software combo next week.

I am extremely exited about this new venture. I went to a jewler about 6 months ago to have him make me a pendant for my girlfriend. I have only known my jewelry friend for about a year. After many hours of chit chat, it became evident to me that hand carving waxes was very time consuming and from what I am told, if you drop it, you will probably have to start over. Well, I must tell you that I have no idea about jewelry, but what I do know is computers. I have been in the software/computer industry for 11 years. After thinking for a while, both me and my friend have decided to combine our knowledge. Him knowing alot about jewelry and me with the computer.

I look foreward to viewing everyones work, as well as us showing off some of our work.

Thanks in advance to everyone whom helps me with all my questions in the future,

Ben.

JewelryDoctor

Welcome Aboard

Post by JewelryDoctor » Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:45 pm

I am glad to see another person join in our group. I think you find that the only limit you might have is your imagination. With your computer background you will become a valued member to our board. Most of us are just jewelers with some computer knowledge. The sharing of skills and techinics is what makes this board such an asset to us all. Remember when you get your mill pop in Jeff's tutorial and go from there. Then if you have a problem or question you will find no better place to resolve than right here in the "club". We are well diversed with many talents and I have not seen anyone on the board that is not more than willing to offer assistance. Good luck and enjoy the new experience that to are about to enter into. Please call on me if you need any help.

Happy Milling
Michael

Jwlrymkr

Welcome!

Post by Jwlrymkr » Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:15 pm

Ditto to what Michael (jewelry doc) just said and welcome to the club!
Lots of awesome folks here who are willing to help any way we can.The forum is great and expanding at a very fast pace. I'm sure you could spend several hours reading the posts.
Regards
Ken

Colin Creed
Senior Miller

Welcome Ben

Post by Colin Creed » Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:03 am

Welcome to the Club Ben,

Having good bench skills & knowing how to a carve wax is one thing, but trying to reproduce these things on computer is another.
Having computer knowledge will be a definite advantage for you both.

I look forward to seeing the results of your combined efforts.

regards Colin

frog113

welcome

Post by frog113 » Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:16 am

Welcome aboard

Beware :!: it is addicting :!:
hustedtjewelers.com

Winstone

Welcome Ben

Post by Winstone » Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:33 pm

When you start your adventure into milling may I suggest some basic things.
Take note of the 3de files posted and try out some of them on your machine. I even have used my Acrobat 5 program to create a series of PDF files of the posts, then I use the catalogue feature to make a database of the ideas. When I get stumped, and that was often, I turn to the forum for an answer.
I have found the learning curve most interesting. Right now I am working on a doll house for a Habitat for humanity family. I have used the mill to make Habitat doors one inch= one foot and the detail is unbelievable. Well, no one has taken scraps from a building site and made a doll house to scale of the original building.
The mill cuts the plastic parts from the siding so well that I too am amazed.
the message is welcome Ben, try out some of the posts, and keep a notebook of your projects. The mill is very versitile. winstone

jeff dunnington
Site Admin

Post by jeff dunnington » Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:31 pm

Ben

Glad to have on the board getting a head start before you get the mill.
By the looks of your files already posted you have a good handle on the program.

Be sure to focus on the highlight post and study them. You will get the jewelry making idea with Dans experience.

The group of members that you see here often are the ones doing the best with the system. Making money and having fun.

Keep on reading the board and posting.