Welcome to our community. Please introduce yourself.

Moderator: ToddMichael

Barbara Rothstein

Post by Barbara Rothstein » Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:48 pm

Hello everyone: I'm a designer/ wax modelmaker working for a US manufacturer of museum replica jewelry for about 15 years. I've been all over this forum and am so impressed with the shared knowledge available, and the friendly encouragement by the members. I'm due to get my wax mill on Monday- very excited, concerned about my level of computer knowledge- I was a real late starter. Ready to take the plunge now (YIKES). You sound like a great bunch of people. Talk to you later,
Barbara Rothstein
B. Rothstein

JewelryDoctor

Welcome

Post by JewelryDoctor » Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:33 pm

Welcome Barbara. We all started at the beginning, including our mentor Jeff. Go thur the tutorial and experiment. Soon you fiind that the MDX is the best tool in your shop. If you need any help besure to call on the membership. The amount of knowledge that is on this forum is very impressive. Good luck and happy milling.

Michael

jacmbj

Post by jacmbj » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:38 pm

Welcome Barbara to the best forum available to date. Believe me all your problems will be solved right here. The mix of talents on this board is absolutely astonishing and the patients shown by it's members is remarkable. If you get stuck and need emergency help this is the place to be. Good luck with your money maker and don't forget to read the forum everyday.
Joe

Winstone

Welcome Barbara

Post by Winstone » Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:10 am

Welcome Barbara,
I am a Sponsor member of the Dallas Museum of Art. One of my own projects was to scan some Pre-Colombian stone carvings using my MDX-15 and to render them into jewelry items.
I am a collector [amateur] of antiquities that often are not of the quality that make it into museum collections. Yet some of my collection is of superb condition. These items were inherited from my parents who were avid collectors of antiquities.
When we copied the Inca carvings which were done in Chilean Lapis pre-conquest, we were able to create smaller versions of the original as beads which augment the original piece. As most gold found in Pre-Colombian art is 22karat, we were able to make a necklace with the original piece of art ast the center focus and the facial beads as parts of the overall design. We have also made similar objects in silver and gold plated them with the original art. The MDX-15 will capture the gensture, proportions, and style of the original with such acuracy and allow you to make them any size with the cad\cam program that you will get goose flesh when working with these items.
I must warn you that some items are much too fragile to be copied directly. When this happens, we put either wax or a petrolium surface on the item and make a latex mold. If the item is a porous ceramic, merely wetting the piece is enough to prevent sticking of the latex. Then we use a product that one can find from Home Depot, called Water Putty. It is a hard stonelike product that easily retains the original's details while allowing a copy to be made with the Dr. Picza probe and program.
Welcome to the forum and I hope that you enjoy using the MDX-15.
Its ability to capture ancient and classic antique art is superb. I have talked up this unit to others who work for museums, and as the trend goes, the MDX-15 is the preferred unit for faithful reproductions of fine art.
If I can be of help in any way let me know..... Winstone

Colin Creed
Senior Miller

Post by Colin Creed » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:29 am

Welcome Barbara,

As a wax carver, I've only just started to realise the possibilities of this machine.
Added to that is the bonus of being able to scan items.
I believe that just like me, you'll find the MDX a valuable asset to your carving tool kit.
I look forward to seeing some of your creations.

regards Colin

Barbara Rothstein

Warm Welcome

Post by Barbara Rothstein » Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:53 am

It was so nice to find all your messages, encouragement & advice. I don't even have my mill, but after exploring the forum , looking at a tutorial & looking at various projects, I can feel my brain starting to "twist". Can't wait to get started. Thanks everyone!
Barbara
B. Rothstein