Hello everybody

Welcome to our community. Please introduce yourself.

Moderator: ToddMichael

Thomas

Hello everybody

Post by Thomas » Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:48 pm

Hi, my name is Thomas and I am the latest addition to your forum.
I am a total beginner in CAD/CAM and have not even milled my first wax yet. Just got through the 3D engrave tutorial and created my first little design. Today is the big day where I try to tame the beast and mill the piece. I guess I will need your assistance here and there along the way. Thanks for posting all this material, That's a lot to go through an study. But first things first,
talk to you later,
Thomas

Colin Creed
Senior Miller

Welcome Thomas

Post by Colin Creed » Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:39 pm

Welcome aboard Thomas,

Good to see that you've started down the road to be a "beast tamer". :wink:
Don't worry about being a CAD/CAM beginner, most of us have started out exactly the same.
If you get stuck on something, just post your problem on the forum.
You'll find that everyone is more than willing to help.
Look forward to seeing your creations.

regards, Colin

jeff dunnington
Site Admin

Post by jeff dunnington » Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:47 pm

Thomas

It was great meeting you in Tucson. Glad you did not have to wait until late March to start playing with your new toy.

I know there are lots of post to go through but if you focus on the ones featured on the Highliths page
http://www.3dwaxmill.com/tools-tips.html
then move on from there you will do well.

The more you are here the better you will do.

Winstone

Thomas

Post by Winstone » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:51 am

Welcome Thomas,
My wife grew up in the Islands. Great to have you as part of the forum. Each of us were beginners, and some of us are still learning. I tell people that I am not fast, I am half fast.
Several things will help you. Keep a log, a binder notebook of the programs and items that you download from the library as well as the posts. Open those files and see what they do.
Equipment, cheap tools, mills and practice items are of help. I have been experimenting with using diamond bauggettes for bits. Still working on the idea. Also have made some sapphire cutters.
Feel free to make mistakes, and try out ideas that may or may not work. As you mill projects keep a log of what you do with notes in your Text file. Dates are critical, this becomes a diary of actions and experiments. this information becomes part of your "workproduct" which could be vital for a copyright later.
We are all beginners. Some come late, some are early. Which Island are you on? Welcome aboard and discover the depths of pleasure that this little mill will bring. It will open doors, and offer you many uses that
were only reserved to top designers who work for major jewelry firms.
Welcome Thomas,
Winstone