Hello

Welcome to our community. Please introduce yourself.

Moderator: ToddMichael

martin james

Hello

Post by martin james » Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:35 pm

Hi all, I go By Marty, Live in Colorado. Have been in Jewelry 12 years, mostly silver, mostly wholesale. We just bought our first PC since 1987 to run modela. Jeff had to save me already once. We have young children so I plan to use our new setup at home instead of driving off every morning. We will probably design mostly in clay for investment casting. Other interests include strenous outdoor family activity, homeschool, and public service.

Marty

Erric

Post by Erric » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:07 am

Welcome Marty,
Best advice,read & study the club highlights.this will help the most.If you run into a problem,just ask we are here to help.

Beautiful state,crazy water laws :roll: . When i get the chance I like to go to WolfCreek to snowboard. Not a large mountain but I like it.
gl
have a great day,Erric

Colin Creed
Senior Miller

Welcome Marty

Post by Colin Creed » Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:57 pm

Welcome Marty,

My advice is the same as Erric's, read & study the various posts.
This forum contains a wealth of information & in most cases, the answers to many a "newbie" question.
If you do get stuck on something, just post your problem.

regards Colin

Jwlrymkr

Post by Jwlrymkr » Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:19 pm

Great to have you Marty!
It seems the club is rapidy growing and there is a huge amount of material to go through.
You picked the right machine and the right person to purchase it from!
Best regards,
Ken

Nodice9t9

Howdy from the Smokie Mtns.

Post by Nodice9t9 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:51 pm

As the rest there are people here with a wealth of knowledge and are more than happy to help. There is no such thing as dumb question! We are all here to learn and support one another. :wink:

But I was told that there is a Search after spending a time trying to find a post about something I had read and needed to go over again. This has help save me time DUH!

But really you now have a Teem ready and willing to Help you.

So ring in any time.

May GOD Bless
The Hillbilly in the Smokies
Thomas Cook

Winstone

Welcome

Post by Winstone » Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:41 pm

Welcome Marty,
You will find that you will start to dream about projects for the mill. It is a friendly addiction, no drugs, no payola, no gangs, only amazing results for helping independent jewelers do what the big boys have been able to do for years.
You can make one's and two's for profit, or make charms of your area of interest, or of Colorado, or of your area of habitat. Make your own findings, and design items for clients that meet their build, weight, and temperment. Findings catalogues sell "one size fits all", but if you are married, you know that this does not work for your wife. Being able to be a true custom jeweler. Make things that look good for a client, experiment, and make items in stages will all be possible with the mill.
Keep a notebook, make backups of projects. list your changes in a note file, date enteries, and have fun.
Marty, you will be amazed at the many things you can do with the mill. It will allow you to copy items and then change their scale. Better than rubber, it will allow you to take a photo of an old building with signage, then make a pendant miniature of the item for the occupants of that building.
I had a summer house in Crested Butte for years. One winter, we stayed up there and were never as cold as that at anytime in my life. Well
after that experience, and having to put antifreze in the potty, I decided that it was better to go where it does not snow. Another story....
Welcome to the forum, and if you need help, feel free to ask, we all are still learning. I am 63 years old, and wonder how it made it this far without a mill. I tell people that "I am not fast, I'm half fast. "
Winstone

Winstone

Rhino discount

Post by Winstone » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:05 pm

Marty,
Thanks for the email. In our packet bundle of programs we also got the programs from Mecsoft. I think that Mecsoft will give you a discount on 1/2 of their price for Rhino programs if you ask. That is what they told me.
There are many programs that deal with CAD\CAM. Roland is one of the simpler ones to learn and use. You will discover in time that the Mecsoft program is also a real treat. Since most of the work done on the mill is from Roland, you can also discover a neat way to make 3D color cad presentation models of items with use of transfer of the 3de file first to a DXF file then load it into Model4a. You can change the surface of the item to whatever color you want. capture it as a bitmap and make it one layer in paintshop. We use this technique for items that we will send on a CD-rom disk to potential clients.
We cut mini disks with software and a short presentation of proposed projects for others to consider. The cost of a disk sent through the mail that can not be demagnitized is minimal. Also, sending a presentation that is in color, 3D having an ability to be looked at in 360 degrees by the viewer with full details of proposed stones or their stones is one advantage that few jewelers use today. The two programs that we use extensively are the Roland viewer cut player as well as images from the
Model4a player and the Mecsoft cadcam program found in your bundle.
Hope this helps. Winstone