New guy?!?!?!?

Welcome to our community. Please introduce yourself.

Moderator: ToddMichael

symple10

New guy?!?!?!?

Post by symple10 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:06 pm

Hey everyone
I'm the new guy, and from my experience today I may need some guidence. But I am very excited to see such a good bunch of fellow gearheads getting their heads together and problem solving the way you do. The potenial profit and creativity able to be generated by this machine really has me eager to get up and running. I'll post my questions in one of the othe topic areas and hope to get an answer (the boss bought the machine and I am suppesed to have all the answers on day one)

Jwlrymkr

Post by Jwlrymkr » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:52 pm

Welcome to the group Matthew!
Which machine did you get? This really is a great group of folks all of whom are willing to share what they know.
Looking forward to seeing some of your work.
Regards,
Ken

Colin Creed
Senior Miller

Post by Colin Creed » Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:06 am

Welcome Matthew,

You'll find all the help you need & you'll amaze your boss at what you can do.
Read up on the various sections, as most of your questions are most likely there already.
If not, just post the problem & at least one of the Members will have an answer.
Good Luck & I look forward to seeing your creations.

regards, Colin

frog113

welcome

Post by frog113 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:43 am

Welcome Aboard!

Larry
hustedtjewelers.com

JewelryDoctor

Welcome

Post by JewelryDoctor » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:51 am

Matthew, you will find that the members of this board are eager and willing to help. It is also a help that in the beginning to look through the various posts and read up on problems and solutions. It can give you quick insite and help you avoid some of the pitfalls that others have had. But also never fear help is as close as your keyboard. Good luck.

Michael

Winstone

Welcome Matthew some starter hints

Post by Winstone » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:26 am

Matthew,
Welcome to the ward, we are all aflicted with mill itis. It is not terminal, but it can change your life. You will discover that your skills as a jeweler will be greatly expanded, the packet of programs although they appear simple will do things that only the big guys could do.
You can make"
custom made findings, custom sized findings for your clients, letters, buckles, scan items and then place them in a item, scale them up or down, and preserve past works, and on and on and on
Matthew,
Keep a sketch book with a date when you begin, sign each page for new jewelry ideas and include that c with the circle around it = copyright
Get in a habit of saving notes of your designs and changes, for productions records, start saving small boxes and jars to store your wax models, and take photos of your works.
If you are running windows, look for clip art, logos, and sports ideas, etc.
Lastly, experiment and if you have a problem, feel free to ask, the lads on this board and the gals will help you with Plain English ideas and solutions.
Welcome to our Ward, you are not crazy yet, but give it time, you will be making milling noises in your sleep, at church, and on the bus. People will move when you sit down, others will hold on to their children. We are not a dangerous lot, just absorbed in doing things with our machines. If you are married, you may need to buy an additional machine for the house, so that your wife will not be a mill widow. Other than that your symptoms will increase, small things like talking about breaking bits, types of cutters, and how to hold waxes to the face plate. No known cure,
you may be found with milling wax on your lips. Buying books on engineering, cad\cam programs much more difficult than Roland programs, with the hope of getting the same things done in less time, and
concern that the Roland programs are much too simple.
I have a workbook that I designed, which I use to repeat the help examples in the Roland program, ideas from this site, and my experiments. My madness has included other materials to mill- wax, soap, plastic, brass, silver, oh the wonderment. ... nuff said Winstone

jeff dunnington
Site Admin

Post by jeff dunnington » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:45 pm

Mathew

Welcome to the club. :D
The potenial profit and creativity able to be generated by this machine really has me eager to get up and running.
You really have no idea. This thing is an incredible little money maker and will increase your abilities as a jeweler by leaps and bounds.

Have fun and make this club a regular visit when you turn you computer on.

Winstone

Matthew

Post by Winstone » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:00 pm

Welcome to the club Matthew,
My attempt for a little humor may have missed. The mill will prove to be one of your most valuable tools. This club makes all that possible. A machine without good instructions, help, R&D and samples of what is being done are oft times as valuable as the machine itself.
The Mill will allow you to do things that were difficult if not impossible. In the past we used the photo etch process to make logos, patterns, but now with the mill you can program the mill to do the same, change proportions, depth of cuts, cut on an arc, and many more tricks.
My humor comes from my wife, who swears that I make milling noises in my sleep. Also, she gets annoyed at my making small designs in the Church program, or during prayers.
I do not think that I have changed, but I have noticed that when I get on a bus, parents hold on to their kids tightly. When we go to the store, my wife reminds me not to make milling noises.
I notice that coins seldom if ever have portraits that are 3/4 view. The new US Nickle will be a first.
You will begin to see the world in different ways. Good luck and I know that you will enjoy your new mill. Winstone

jeff dunnington
Site Admin

Post by jeff dunnington » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:40 pm

Winstone

You crack me up. You have been breathing to much wax dust. :roll:
I hate to think what would happen if someone took your mills away.
You might just go postal on us. :shock: :lol:

Winstone

My wife of 30 years...

Post by Winstone » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:38 pm

My wife of 30 years told me that she plans to put a mill in my coffin when I die. As it seems to be my second love it is only fitting that we should go out of this world together.
If I go to heaven, then Roland will have good representation there. Surely, I will be alone as few good people devote so much time to a mill over their families?
If I go to hell, then Roland will have yet another represenative there as well. i should be in good company. Around people who work with molten metals, melting wax, and obsessions about the antics of a mere machine.
What really irks her, is the fact that for years I have given my shop computers female names. I am convinced that a computer is of the female gender. Computers like women want only the facts, exact terms, and facts as well as figures. My computers do not day dream, wax poetic, or dream of new mill patterns. Now I am naming my mills after females as well. It seems that I am in a harem of fine females, when actually these folks are all women.
So, it is fitting that as I am married to this new machine, that when I die, she intends to bury my mill with me. She will keep the other one and name it for me. If it continues to work, then she'll be happy, if not, then she can blame it on Roland for creating such an obsession. Either way she wins.
Jeff, I do not plan to go postal. Only go out like a modern King Tut. One could be buried with worse. Humor keeps our marriage exciting. She is Canadian and with their wry sense of humor, one never knows what will happen next. We have been married for 30 years. I love her more than I did when I married her.
Her obsession is Bernina sewing machines. She has over 5 of these units. She does not name her machines yet, but give her time. nuff said
Winstone

symple10

Thanks for the warm welcome

Post by symple10 » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:24 pm

Wow
My holiday is just now winding down and it's the end of january. I kind of did this milling thing trial by fire (two class rings,three pendant and a school logo all in about two weeks plus keeping up my small repair shop in a large national retailers store that keeps me busy 9-5 M-F doing repairs for the five mall stores in my region) I just wanted to thank every one for the warm reception and apologize for the time it took to reply.