Newbie in Waxmill Land

Welcome to our community. Please introduce yourself.

Moderator: ToddMichael

Chris

Newbie in Waxmill Land

Post by Chris » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:48 pm

Hey Everyone,

I offically got my newbie licnes this week, after visiting Jeff at a couple shows, several call, and a ton of questions :lol: . I have been visiting the gallery pages for awhile and enjoying the beautiful work you guys do. My mill should be in the first of the week. I can hardly wait to get it up and running. I'm eagar to toot all the horns and blow all the whistles. Maybe this old dog can learn a new trick or two. B.T.W. Winstone I think I am gonna name mine Jewel. :lol: I hope everyone has a wonderful Easter weekend. I'll be talking to ya'll soon.

Chris

Jwlrymkr

Post by Jwlrymkr » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:07 am

Welcome to our little wacky world of milling Chris!
We were all newbies at one time so feel free to ask questions and browse the forums. Soon you'll be an addicted professional.
Regards,
Ken

grivakos

Welcome Chris

Post by grivakos » Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:08 pm

Glad you're part of the "group"...You'll enjoy milling once you get the hang of it. I look foward to sharing with you as we all continue to learn from one another.

Grivakos

frog113

welcome

Post by frog113 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:05 am

Welcome Aboard :D

Larry
hustedtjewelers.com

Colin Creed
Senior Miller

Post by Colin Creed » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:43 pm

Welcome Chris,

As you've already seen, there's lots of different designs that can be created & just as many ways of doing them.
While your waiting for the mill, read through a lot of the earlier posts, within the various sections.
You'll find a wealth of information that's often over looked, because it's so far back.
That's where most of us "Seasoned Members" asked our first "Newbie" questions!
Most of all, have fun playing with your new toy! 8)

regards Colin

Winstone

Welcome Chris

Post by Winstone » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:33 pm

Welcome Chris,
One thing that you will learn is that all of the Roland programs are enter connected. What is most interesting, is that you can load them and use them without a mill. So you can experiment with all kinds of jobs away from the mill.
Keep a notebook, create a Project file. and as you learn, keep a note file of what you do in each project. this becomes a guide later when you have a rush job, or plan to modify what you are making.
Try out some of the patterns that they guys post in the forum or at the FTP file. Although you may not use them, look at the logic, and then run the program to see what they do.
I use my mill in a very different way than most. I have two of them and use one for scanning my past projects, and one for milling.
You will find that the Roland programs are much more powerful that they appear. Look at the help files, and then use your own ideas to duplicate what the help file is talking about.
No question is foolish, we help write the book, as there is none prior to this website. You will find that the best bargin in this whole experience is membership in the forum. You will meet some real characters, some very gifted jewelers, and some crazy old men. Well, enjoy and welcome aboard.
Chris, start by reading the many posts, hope this helps.... Winstone