Yep, us too...

Welcome to our community. Please introduce yourself.

Moderator: ToddMichael

l.j.designs

Yep, us too...

Post by l.j.designs » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:53 am

Hey everybody!

We're new to the 3DWaxMill "community". So new, in fact, that we haven't even received our wax mill yet. We are anxiously awaiting, and very excited to get started with this program. I have been looking at everyone's pictures of the pieces they have made, and I have to say, I am very impressed! I can't wait until we can start posting pictures of our own :D

A little bit about us... We are Levit Jewelers, Inc., a custom design jewelry manufacturer in Lorain, Ohio. We have been in business for about 15 years. We are not open to the general public, we just do business by appointment. Up until this point, when we would make a custom designed piece for a client we would either carve a mold by hand, or alter an exsisting mold in hopes to achieve the look we're going for. I think the 3DWaxMill will help production tremendously. Instead of our clients just looking at a sketch on paper, we will be able to show them a 3D model of what their piece will look like! Best of luck to us all.

Nicole M. Scozzarella, G.G.
Levit Jewelers, Inc.
Lorain, Ohio

frog113

welcome

Post by frog113 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:53 am

Welcome aboard! :D

Larry
hustedtjewelers.com

Winstone

Welcome

Post by Winstone » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:55 am

Welcome Nicole,
You have ventured into a new world of design possibilities. May I make a few suggestions to simplify your journey.
a] get a notebook for lessons and make copies of the many 3de files for
practice lessons as well as understanding the logic of design constructions.

b] Make a library of BMP files, as well as download items from the FTP files

c] Find a Harbor Freight or a Micromark catalogue for cheap carbide bits

d] load some of the 3de files to see how they work with your mill. Also, read the posts of the members. separate them into subjects for quick reference.

e] When you get your bundle of programs be sure to read the help files and the Roland examples.

f] We make screen grabs of the pictures we get with the 3de files. We are visual people, so an image is very important.

g] Do not be afraid to ask questions, or share problems, the members all benefit from your posts, and the quick replies of others.

h] Strech the programs, try things that are "outside the box" experiment, and try to find ways to do large projects with minimal memory.

i] Enjoy ther experience, modify 3de files for your own purposes, and give the fellas, guys and gals, positive feedback for their efforts.

j] Show your stuff and share items. I am like you, more a custom designer, GG, master jewelry appraiser with Insurance training, Texas paralegal, and sculptor of small fine metals designs. We copyright our work which is a boon as well as a curse. The boon is that we protect intellectual property, the curse is that more often than not, we are not able to post designs here without permission from the owners of our designs.

k] I have been working on a generic set of designs that are outside the copyright restrictions.

l] share shop helps, ways of casting, prep of a model, replications, making your own equipment, and how you use the mill to make new gemological equipment.

As you can see, there is so much that you can do with the mill. Welcome to the club, if you read each post, print them, then organize them into subjects, set up a work area, have good lighting, clean area to work, and learn from the posts, you will get far more than what the mil wil offer.

I have learned a lot from the tone of the letters and posts. These guys think differently than we do, and it is a refreshing experience. If I can help you in any way, let me know. Winstone

Jwlrymkr

Post by Jwlrymkr » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:15 pm

Welcome Nicole....After the previous post, theres not a whole lot for me to say :lol:

Regards,
Ken

Colin Creed
Senior Miller

Post by Colin Creed » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:17 pm

Welcome Nicole,

Depending on your level of computer knowledge, it can all seem very daunting at first. :shock:
But in a short space of time, you'll wonder how you ever managed to create designs without the use of a mill :roll:
Learning 3D programs, Reliefs, X, Y & Z positions, Cutting Parameters, will all become like second nature to you. 8)

Looking forward to your input & seeing your new creations.

regards Colin

jeff dunnington
Site Admin

Post by jeff dunnington » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:19 pm

Nichole

Welcome, Winstone and Colin has it all about covered.

As you will see the more time spent in the Forum the better you will get!! Guaranteed

Only other thing I can add is play with it and have fun. :D

Chris

Post by Chris » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:11 pm

Hi Nicole,

Welcome to the gang. I hope you have as much fun with your new toy as I have mine. As Colin said in a short time you will be wondering how you ever managed without it. In no time after you kick the tires and give it a spin you'll have all sorta visions of wax dancing in your head. :lol: Have fun with it and if you have any questions give us a shout.

Chris