Welcome to our community. Please introduce yourself.

Moderator: ToddMichael

ghut

Post by ghut » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:07 am

Hello everyone, we're new and excited about using 3dwaxmill and growing our business. Here's a design we working on for a customer and hoping to mill early next week. The music was written by the groom for his bride-to-be and wanted it to be part of his wedding ring. The design is not complete, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My son David and I are looking forward to learning and sharing with all of you.

Dick
Attachments
music ring 3d.3de
(59.07 KiB) Downloaded 597 times

mattdzero

Post by mattdzero » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:38 am

Hello Dick,

I want to welcome you and your son to the forum!

I cleaned up your file a little bit. I usually separate all of my parts and create reliefs from there. When all the parts are joined, the vertexes stay connected and give you those lines in your pieces. I will try and explain better later when I am back at a computer unless someone else reads this first and replies. Take a look at the file and see if it helps! Take care

Matt
Attachments
music_ring_3d[1]_matt.3de
(81.99 KiB) Downloaded 597 times

Colin Creed
Senior Miller

Post by Colin Creed » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:16 pm

Hi Dick & David, Welcome to the Forum,

You've done a nice job on the ring design, Well done!!

Will you be doing this design using Jeff's rotary?
If so, all the music notes in your design (as with any text) have to be reversed to suit the rotary milling.
Also with rotary milling, you'd need to add support bridges to hold the design.
For more info on all of this, check the "3dwaxmill Rotary" section of the Forum.
If you need more help, just let us know.

regards Colin

mattdzero

Post by mattdzero » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:28 pm

Thanks Colin, I forgot to mirror my edit. I love the band!! I am a musician myself!! Neat idea!

Matt

Winstone

Post by Winstone » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:25 am

Welcome Dick and David,
You will find the members of this forum most helpful and very talented. They have many designs that are on the FTP file as well as posts that will help you to learn about the many things that you guys can do with your Roland machine.
Get a zippered 3 ring notebook and keep your disks there for safety, notes you make from the forum, and notes for each mill job, date and sign them with the copyright symbol. As you work on new projects make folders for different items; pendants, rings, buckles, earrings, crosses, etc.
No question is stupid, we are all in this boat together. Welcome guys to this forum. winstone

ghut

Post by ghut » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:57 am

Colon,

I'm overdue, but thanks for the help. After cutting and casting the wax we realized the need to add a little more thickness and raised the notes a little higher. The first was vacuum casted with somewhat poor results. The second was spin casted, and man, what a beatiful piece. Unfortunatley, we were at last minute for delivery and didn't get a picture of the finished product.

David and I are learning quite a bit from the designs you have shared. Learning to "disect" the designs has been a great help in learning how to use the 3dwaxmill. Hopefully, it won't be long before we can share our designs as well.

Dick

ghut

Post by ghut » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:57 am

Colon,

I'm overdue, but thanks for the help. After cutting and casting the wax we realized the need to add a little more thickness and raised the notes a little higher. The first was vacuum casted with somewhat poor results. The second was spin casted, and man, what a beatiful piece. Unfortunatley, we were at last minute for delivery and didn't get a picture of the finished product.

David and I are learning quite a bit from the designs you have shared. Learning to "disect" the designs has been a great help in learning how to use the 3dwaxmill. Hopefully, it won't be long before we can share our designs as well.

Dick

ghut

Post by ghut » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:03 am

Continuing from my previous post, I don't want to leave out the great help we received from Jeff on this project as well. In addition to helping with the design, Jeff was gracious enough to cut the fitst was for us as we were have difficulty with the computer communicating with the wax mill. As we became more frusted Jeff stayed in there with us and was a great help finding the solution to this problem.

Thanks Jeff.

Dick

Colin Creed
Senior Miller

Post by Colin Creed » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:21 pm

Hi Dick,

Glad to hear it all worked & came out OK.

Often a design will look great on the computer screen, but be way too thin once it's actually cut in wax. :?
It usually takes a few designs & cutting of waxes to get that "feel" for the right amount of thickness needed. :wink:

regards Colin

Jwlrymkr

Post by Jwlrymkr » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:38 pm

Colin Creed wrote:Hi Dick,

Glad to hear it all worked & came out OK.

Often a design will look great on the computer screen, but be way too thin once it's actually cut in wax. :?
It usually takes a few designs & cutting of waxes to get that "feel" for the right amount of thickness needed. :wink:

regards Colin
Man! I can relate to that! Looks great when its zoomed in 10x, but not so good IRL.
:lol: