New member from Oz

Welcome to our community. Please introduce yourself.

Moderator: ToddMichael

Joe Russell

New member from Oz

Post by Joe Russell » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:01 am

I just received my waxmill 2 days ago and I'm already having fun. I was initially worried about learning the programs but Jeffs tutorials are great. Making learning alot easier than expected.
I'm a Dental technician with a passion for Lapidary and jewelry making. I started cutting cabachons when I was thirteen years old and have dabbled in jewelry making and lapidary ever since. For years now, I've been wanting to merge into jewelry making as real part of my bussiness. When I found the waxmill while browsing on the net I knew I had found a way of making this happen.

mattdzero

Post by mattdzero » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:12 am

Hello Joe,

welcome to the forum!!!

I use my mill to create deigns for my customers as well as other stores now!! Its a great little money maker, and you know what, it has even become a hobby for me and not just work.. I am constantly trying to knock out all the "have to" jobs so I can design something for fun!!
The sky is pretty much the limit!! Have a blast and feel free to ask any questions you may have as these guys are unbelievable knowledgeable and are more than willing to help out.. I can't imagine buying a machine without this type of support!!!

Matt

Colin Creed
Senior Miller

Post by Colin Creed » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:18 pm

Welcome to the Forum Joe,

I see that your from Brisbane, glad to see there's another Aussie joined our ranks. :lol:

Best advice is to read through the various postings, especially some of the early ones!
They're the posts that'll contain answers for most of those first "Newbie" questions.
There's a wealth of info to be found on this Forum, but you do need to look for it.

If you do get stuck or can't find your answer, just post your problem.

regards Colin

Winstone

Welcome Joe

Post by Winstone » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:02 am

Welcome Joe,
Mastering the mill will come in stages. Keep a notebook, read the banter and try some of the examples, pay special attention to the 3de files as they will guide you to becomming a better craftsman.
Since you are a dental technition, keep your standards and techniques in that profession to cast. Jewelers suffer from shrinkage, due to expansions and contractions of investment. Dental techniques used for MOD's are far superior. I use ADA techniues used for partials, crowns, and plates and avoid many of the jeweler's casting problems. Your impurt here will be very helpful to the guys, because casting problems is a major subject of discourse.
Date your projects, so that in time you can see how you improve. Also, take pictures of your work. I made a serious mistake years ago, when I allowed my clients to control whether or not I could take pictures and share them with a forum. The Internet did not exist in the 1960's thus much to my horror, I can not share designs or ideas from past works with the gang.
Welcome to the group, you will do well with the mill, there is a lot to learn. If you are in School, you can get a student's rate for Rhino and a great deal of help from this forum. Also, do not under estimate the power of the Roland packet of programs.
I hope this is of help to you, welcome to the ward...... winstone