Hi! My name is Lou-Ann

Welcome to our community. Please introduce yourself.

Moderator: ToddMichael

The Metal Peddler

Hi! My name is Lou-Ann

Post by The Metal Peddler » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:25 pm

Hello everyone. I have enjoyed reading everyone's comments and suggestions and am so glad to have some good help out there with our machine. This is my first time to write. My husband Jay bought our machine in Dec. 2004. We love our new 3D waxmill and have been working on it in our spare time, which is not enough. I am at work wishing I were milling. I help my husband at night and Saturdays. We are so impressed with this machine.

We have called Jeff and Co. with questions and they have been so helpful. They kept telling me to read the forum and I finally did tonight. I have read some things before but tonight I decided to take a little more time to exploring. You folks are so smart.

My husband Jay is a jeweler and I help him with engraving, stringing and whatever else is needed to be done. My primary job is a detailer of steel joist and deck on a computer. I love my work and it has helped me understand this 3D mill better.

Well, got to go.

Jwlrymkr

Post by Jwlrymkr » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:38 pm

Great to have you and Jay LouAnn!
Just what the heck is a detailer of steel joists???
Jeff is Da Man and the other folks here are great too!
Looks like you have lots of reading to do but sounds like things are coming along great.
Welcome!
Ken

jeff dunnington
Site Admin

Post by jeff dunnington » Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:21 pm

Hey LouAnn

It was good talking to you and I am glad you finally got here!!!
In talking to you I am convinced that you already have a good grasp on the thought process need to succeed with the 3dwaxmill system.

I am looking forward to seeing the faces you are doing and how you are getting there.

Keep it up.

Colin Creed
Senior Miller

Welcome Lou-Ann & Jay

Post by Colin Creed » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:32 pm

Welcome to you both, Lou-Ann & Jay,

I guess you've already seen that there is a lot of info' to absorb!!
It can be overwhelming that there seems to be so many ways of doing the same or similar things.
The best part is that if you do get stuck on something, there's always someone to help you.
I look forward to seeing the results of your combined efforts.

regards Colin

The Metal Peddler

Hello again

Post by The Metal Peddler » Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:27 pm

Hey Everyone,
A steel joist detailer is a drafter who draws on a computer for steel companies who build buildings such as churches, schools, warehouses, etc.......
Look up in the ceiling of "Lowes" or "Home Depot" next time you go and see all that steel up there.......that is what I draw.
I am still happily working and my machine is running in the background. Thanks for the notes posted. I have been reading as much as possible on here and feel like I can imagine each of you working. You folks have some good discussions going at times. Isn't it great?
I have some friends in Austraila, in Perth. They have been to the states, twice, in the last two years. We have had great visits. They get some cool long vacations over there. A whole month.
I have just finished a project for my husband and I was able to raise the circle text without having to piece each letter in the 3Dengrave. I will let you know how it turned out. I am also trying something different with the end mills. I have broke all my little ones and started reading ya'll's comments about endmills and experiments. "WOW"
I have alot of talented people showing me different things to do on the Adobe Photoshop that they have learned from their jobs. One works at the newspaper, one at the local news station and another who touches up photos in magazines for ads. I am staying so excited.
Got to go. I am babysitting my new Grandson tonight. I am so excited about that too.
Thanks Lou

p schmidt

greetings

Post by p schmidt » Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:57 am

greetings and welcome aboard!
broke all your bits you say..now that's my specialty. make sure you look up the collet section and long reach bit making you'll need to make a tube collet with depth stop asap! and learn to make your own long reach bits or you'll go broke buying bits from tool companys. let me know if you need any help. sounds like you have some good computer skills as does most everyone else here .i'm still in the stone age / old school just trying to learn. so as you find your ways feel free to contribute. it's always nice to see what other members are doing with their mill.
pat

rckymtnjwlr

use ftp stie

Post by rckymtnjwlr » Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:47 pm

use the FTP site I got my mill in Dec. as well and the best learning that I have had is disassembling others work to see how they did things and worked around roadblocks

atozjewelry

Post by atozjewelry » Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:04 pm

Hi Jay and Lou-Ann,
Great to hear of your acquisition and feeling of waxmill "addiction". So many projects in mind to mill and so little time. Truly Jeff and his team are solid folks. The machine is great but is nothing without the support team and forum to go with it. You could buy one of the $25000 dollar machines and still have to pay $1000 per year separate for the support.
We are all truly fortunant to have come to the "waxmill" community. Keep on milling.
Charles Brock
Atoz Lapidary and Gems
www.atozlapidary.com

Winstone

Welcome Lou-Ann and Jay

Post by Winstone » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:10 pm

Nice to see a team of talented people join our motley group of addicts. We are smitten with the mill. You will find that soon you will be dreaming about new ways to use the mill. I hope that you stay in the forum and contribute often. If you need any help, any question, never feel that it is too dumb, or stupid, because we all have been there. A truly stupid person is someone who refuses to ask for help.
Keep a notebook, sketch book of your work. I use a kids zipper 3 ring notebook to store my CD's, extra notes from the forum, fonts, and the Art Explosion images, also I started to collect textures, and on and on. I date my works and if you are lucky, even copyright works for future sales. I started with one machine. Now I have two. I am scanning a lot of earlier work almost 40 years of stuff into the mill. Gad that is a lot.
Will be posting some of the decorative elements soon. Also am making gemological tools and fixtures with my mill. Winstone