New Member-Colin Creed

Welcome to our community. Please introduce yourself.

Moderator: ToddMichael

Colin Creed
Senior Miller

New Member-Colin Creed

Post by Colin Creed » Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:12 pm

Hi everyone, forgive me but this is the first forum that I've been involved with & I'm not sure what's involved or what to write?
My name is Colin Creed, I'm an Aussie jeweller who's just invested in a MDX-15.
I'm still waiting for the mill to arrive from Roland DG Aust., but it's only days away.
Roland Aust. informs me that I'm the first jeweller in my State to own one.
Needless to say, I'm both excited & frightened by the prospects that the mill presents.
In time, I'm hopeful that I'll be a useful & productive member for the forum.
Thanks
Colin Creed

Jwlrymkr

Post by Jwlrymkr » Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:57 pm

Welcome Colin!
You will soon discover this forum is the best on the net. All the folks here are helpful and will answer any questions you may have.
Jeff is the Guru of the MDX and has pioneered many techniques and tools for the mill.
Best Wishes!
Ken

jeff dunnington
Site Admin

Post by jeff dunnington » Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:24 pm

Hey Colin

Glad to have you. You did hit the right button and made your 1st post. :D

From the looks of your website you are certainly a talented artist and I am looking forward to seeing the spin you will put on your work with your new tool.

As you read through the forum and see the work the other members are doing, you will see that we all are doing cutting edge and unique work.

Good Luck!!!

Hey guys, we can now say our forum is International!!!!

Winstone

Welcome aboard Colin

Post by Winstone » Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:38 pm

Welcome aboard, Colin. We are delighted to have someone from up on top as a new member of our forum. Up on top? well as my Aussie friends tell me it is a matter of observation.
The MDX-15 will prove most exciting. We network and come up with ideas to help eachother. I have had a Preis Mill for years, and have made items the hard way.
The ability to use the computer to guide our MDX-15 will open new doors for you. also we are also getting another newbie called Arnold. He is a computer tech, and hopes to look inside programs to show us ways to speed up our programs.
Colin, feel free to ask anything, we are here to help, and are delighted that you have become one of our new members.
Some of us are making our own milling tools. check out the idea of using the jeweler's flex shaft tools inside the brass 1/8 " tubing.
Winstone

Colin Creed
Senior Miller

Post by Colin Creed » Sat Jul 31, 2004 5:11 am

Thanks everyone for all the warm welcomes & encouragements.
Reading what you all have said, has boosted my confidence that I've made the right choice.
Roland Aust. informs me that my mill will arrive by 3 August, with the cutters & CD arriving shortly from Jeff, the info' that I've been reading on the forum with lots of good solid advice, I can't wait to get milling!!
After reading some of the posts, I've setup a dedicated computer for the mill with lots of ram & big HDrive, so I should be OK. (I hope?)
Just need to get my head around some of these programs like Rhino.
I'll send photos of work as soon as I can.
Thanks again, Colin.

Winstone

The Roland program packet and Model Player4 can do all

Post by Winstone » Sat Jul 31, 2004 4:32 pm

The packet of programs that come with the MDX-15 will allow you to do all of the milling without Rhino. If you have Rhino, fine, but the Roland packet programs are not as technical and the learning curve for the Roland is not hard. Jeff's disk is easy to follow, so you should be milling withing a day.
The addition of the zip file for PSP maybe on the site, it is a shareware
program that limits you to a few months. But it will allow you to scan, create grey scales, and color reduce quickly to 2 colors, get a negative image, and do many things that make the MDX-15 sing.
Start downloading the zips, read the posts, and create a folder for Roland. We took a kids zipper notebook and made folders for each subject, took the manual, and have a safe place for the programs [CD's]
We also got a large kids school folder and wrote Roland on the outter spine, this also holds all of those bmp and click art disks that we have
accumulated. I took the idea of one of our members and got the shareware program thumbs which makes miniatue thumb prints of art work. Each disk has its little art pic. makes searching for ideas easy.
Will upload this shareware for gang.
Since Australia is such a sheep breeding country. And wool is a major product, I wonder if there are 1/8" needles that could be modified into milling bits? We are experimenting with tools from other professions that may lend themselves into milling tools. My wife sews, and tells me that the best tools for wool come from Australia. Just a thought. Winston

JewelryDoctor

Welcome

Post by JewelryDoctor » Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:54 pm

G'day Mate, or in in my dialect howdy. I was very impressed with your web site. Jeff told me to take a look and wow what a great wax artist you are. I believe that your knowledge will add a valuable assest to our little club. This group has made many discoveries in a short period of time and everyone has been able to contribute ideas and knowledge. You will find only professionals and friends here. Our only goal is to be the best at our trade with the help of the mdx machine. Please feel free to contact me if you need any assistance. I look foward to your posts and getting a taste of designs from down under. So jump in and have fun.

Happy Milling
Michael Parsons

Erric

Post by Erric » Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:10 am

Hey Colin, Welcome too the club. No need too worry,The program is a snap.
BTW took a look at your sight,never nice. you do great work.

p.s- has a can of vegimite go for? :lol:
have a great day,Erric