THE 3DWAXMILLER CLUB. Forum Index THE 3DWAXMILLER CLUB.
A place to share your experiences with your 3dwaxmill system. 3D Wax Mill

AlbumAlbum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The 3dwaxmiller Club Forum Highlights
Check this page often for new and important post.

The 3dwaxmiller Club Gallery
See Jewelry, Waxes and other project designed and created by our members with the 3dwaxmill.

experiments

Post new topic   Reply to topic    THE 3DWAXMILLER CLUB. Forum Index -> Show Your Work
View previous topic :: View next topic  
p schmidt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: experiments Reply with quote

experiments again :wink:

spiral.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  77.95 KB
 Viewed:  7180 Time(s)

spiral.jpg

spiral1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  68.23 KB
 Viewed:  7180 Time(s)

spiral1.jpg

Winstone

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Paul here is an experiment for you to try Reply with quote

Paul,
Here is an experiment for you to try. If you have one of those computers with a "touchpad" instead of a mouse. Make a card like a playing card, take a round hole punch and make evenly spaced half circles down one side. Take some fine sissors and round each area between the cutout 1/2 circles. Then take a stylus place it next to the punched out card on the "touchpad" and make a single line. Now you have a faux guilloche starter line. In the meantime, I am trying to make a miniature of the 8 wheels on my original machine. Complex patterns can be made with multiples of these wheels. If you try this faux pattern, then you will be able to replicate
the simple pattern and as you have an ability to explain the "hows and why" clearer than me, the other millers can take the idea and make variations on the theme..... anyway just a thought.
My notes tell me that many of the swags I made were 12 down, 7 across, and 12 up. Large pieces had 12,12,12 with three runs of bright cuts on each round. .... winstone

picdam05b.jpg
 Description:
I goofed, the across group here appears to be 7 not 12. I use 12,12,12 for monumental items like decorative bases, or frames for large colored stones. Fabrege' made all metalwork in fine silver then gold plated the edges in 24 karat gold. To strengthen a
 Filesize:  12.26 KB
 Viewed:  7151 Time(s)

picdam05b.jpg

p schmidt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: experiments Reply with quote

that's a good thought winston I have some small spirograph wheels to use (from the 1970's toy) but my touch pad is too small to do that with... do they make a bigger touch pad
p schmidt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: experiments Reply with quote

I just remembered I have a wacom tablet I'll give it a try and see if it works excellent suggestion I will post my results
Winstone

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:39 am    Post subject: Swag designs Reply with quote

Over time and with experiments with how real fabric hangs, I found that the center of the swag in the bottom run looks more natural is the slope is not straight across but a gentle sag. Fabric is very plastic or fluid when it makes a swag, so to make the metal work appear to be like fabric a gentle dip makes the swag appear more natural. Also, I have found that to achieve a more natural look, some of my swags are not syymetrical, but will have different cuts to give a more natural look.
Experiments with different edges of items like the spiral spring on a note pad, or lariat weave give interesting side linear patterns. The important thing is making a consistent line that can be copied then pasted easily in a program like MS paint. The lines can be reduced easily or drooped to make a faux guilloche pattern. A bmp can be made then loaded into 3de for further uses.
Fine lace put on a scanner and backed with black construction paper will also make wonderful bmp patterns for millers. more to come..winstone
p schmidt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: pattern Reply with quote

winston, your idea worked I taped a gear from my spirograph to the tablet and used the "sketch" command in rhino I's a little trick ..I will post some things later ...could you post a picture of the card with punched out holes would look like
Post new topic   Reply to topic    THE 3DWAXMILLER CLUB. Forum Index -> Show Your Work All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: